CARBON COPY BUILDING, (1999-present)
A comic book opera
Multimedia music theatre with words and drawings by celebrated artist Ben Katchor based on his comic-strip about two buildings of the same footprint in different parts of Manhattan.
OBIE winner: Best New American Production 2000
Words and Drawings by Ben Katchor
Music composed by Michael Gordon, David Lang, and Julia Wolfe
Set Design by Fred Tietz
Lighting Design by Howard Thies
Costume Design by Rachel Comey and Jennifer Cooper
Film by Bill Morrison
Projection Design by Laurie Olinder
Production manager Jim Findlay
Dramaturg Daniel Zippi
Directed by Bob McGrath
October 25 & 26 2006
Royal Court, 1 Roe Street, Liverpool, Merseyside, L1 1HL
Performed at Mass MoCA and at the Kampfnagle, Hamburg, Germany.
Executive Producer Kenny Savelson
Co-produced by The Kitchen and Bang on the Can,
commissioned by the Settembre Music Festival, Italy.
Singers: Theo Bleckmann, Tony Boutté, Katie Geissinger, Toby Twining.
Band: John Benthal - Electric Guitar, David Cossin - Percussion, Martin Goldray - Keyboards/Sampler, Bohdan Hilash - Clarinets.
Ben Katchor recieved MacArthur "Genius" Fellowship (2000).
Go back to History Page
- SHELTER, (2005-present)
- CARBON COPY BUILDING, (1999-present)
- DECASIA LIVE, (2001-present)
- LIGHTNING AT OUR FEET, (2008)
- HENRYK GÓRECKI
- THE SINKING OF THE TITANIC
- THE DIFFICULTY OF CROSSING A FIELD, (2006)
- HARRY PARTCH’S ‘OEDIPUS’, (2005)
- GOTHAM, (2004-present)
- JENNIE RICHEE, (2001-2004)
- THE DEATH OF KLINGHOFFER, (2003)
- HYPATIA, (2000)
- CHARLIE IN THE HOUSE OF RUE, (1999)
- CHAOS, (1998)
- THE SANDLEWOOD BOX & THE DAMNED THING, (1998)
- ALICE IN BED, (1996)